Review & Swatches - OPI Texas Collection

Hey guys!

I'm actually surprised to be able to show you these today because I wasn't expecting to be able to get my hands on this collection for at least a couple of weeks! You know, after how long it took for my local Chatter's Salon to get the Katy Perry collection, I figured it would be a little late with this one as well. But nope, I found out that they had it so I went to check it out, not really thinking that I was going to get the whole collection but I did end up getting them all.

As you might already know, the Texas Collection includes the release of a new finish by OPI called the "Sorbet" finish. According to the press release for this collection, this is what Suzi Weiss-Fischmann, OPI Executive VP & Artistic Director had to say about this new finish:

“These sorbet-style formulas for nails will be in full swing by 2012, but women can get a jump start on this trend with colors in the Texas Collection. Unlike thicker creams or light sheers, these twelve shades are slightly translucent – similar to the look of icy, water-based sorbet!”


Photobucket

Photobucket


Keep reading to see swatches and read the review!




Photobucket
Suze Loves Cowboys (deep chocolate brown creme)

Photobucket
Do You Think I'm Tex-Y? (berry jelly)

Photobucket
Austin-tatious Turquoise (blue-green shimmer)

Photobucket
Y'all Come Back Ya Hear? (true orange jelly)

Photobucket
San Tan-tonio (honey brown creme)

Photobucket
Houston We Have a Purple (fuchsia jelly)

Photobucket
I Vant to be A-Lone Star (frosty pale blue-grey)

Photobucket
Guy Meets Gal-veston (pink-coral jelly)

Photobucket
Don't Mess With OPI (medium forest green creme)

Photobucket
Too Hot Pink to Hold 'Em (bright red-pink jelly)

Photobucket
It's Totally Fort Worth It (light grey with subtle lavender shimmer)

Photobucket
Big Hair...Big Nails (rosy coral jelly)

Photobucket
Suzi Loves Cowboys, Do You Think I'm Tex-Y?, Austin-tatious Turquoise, Y'all Come Back Ya Hear?, San Tan-tonio, Houston We Have a Purple

Photobucket
I Vant to be A-Lone Star, Guy Meets Gal-veston, Don't Mess With OPI, Too Hot Pink to Hold 'Em, It's Totally Fort Worth It, Big Hair...Big Nails

Photobucket
Suzi Loves Cowboys, Do You Think I'm Tex-Y?, Austin-tatious Turquoise

Photobucket
Y'all Come Back Ya Hear?, San Tan-tonio, Houston We Have a Purple

Photobucket
I Vant to be A-Lone Star, Guy Meets Gal-veston, Don't Mess With OPI

Photobucket
Too Hot Pink to Hold 'Em, It's Totally Fort Worth It, Big Hair...Big Nails

Photobucket
OPI Texas Collection

Photobucket
Sorbet finish shades: Big Hair...Big Nails, Too Hot Pink to Hold 'Em, Guy Meets Gal-veston, Do You Think I'm Tex-Y?, Y'all Come Back Ya Hear?, Houston We Have a Purple


The formula was great on all of these colours and I especially liked the formula for the Sorbet finishes.

The cremes were most all opaque in 2 coats however I added 3 because I'm a 3 coat kind of gal.

The shimmer colours all needed 3 coats in order to be opaque.

I find that jelly finish type polishes are usually thick and goopy but these were very nice to apply. I did use 3 coats for all of the Sorbet finishes because I prefered the way they looked with 3 coats as opposed to 2 which was slightly more translucent. They still are not fully opaque with 3 coats but that's the point with this finish. The Sorbet colours are also super shiny on their own without top coat however I would still always recommend adding a top coat to make your mani last longer.

Oh and a heads up for anyone who's planning to get any of these colours (especially if you're ordering online): Guys Meets Gal-veston and Big Hair...Big Nails are pretty much the exact the same colour. Seriously, when I looked at the 2 bottles when I got home I thought that the sales lady had given me 2 of the same colour. Then, after checking the labels and seeing that they had different names, I was convinced that there must have been a manufacturing mistake and that the wrong label had been applied to one of them. However, after doing some research, I've realized that there was no mistake and that they're just ridiculously similar.
There's a tiny difference in that Guy Meets Gal-veston has a touch more pink but it's not at all noticeable when on the nails. This kind of disappointed me because I think OPI could have come up with another colour in place of one of these. What about a nice lemon sorbet colour? I think that would have been the perfect addition to the Sorbet finish shades.

Overall, I'm not entirely impressed with this collection, it's just ok. Although I do like the Sorbet finish and the formula was great, I don't think it's the most innovative thing that OPI has come up with. It's basically just a jelly finish (which has been around forever) with a new name. Plus, the colour selection of the Sorbet shades leaves something to be desired. I do really like a few of the colours though! Austin-tatious Turquoise and I Vant to Be A-Lone Star in particular are very pretty.

What do you guys think about the collection? Will you pick up any of the colours?

 
© 2010 Copyright by Beauty Nail Art