Review - LUSH Herbalism Cleanser



I want to start this review off by saying that I really, really wanted to like this cleanser and I wanted so bad for it to work for me. Unfortunately, I don't have many good things to say about it.

To start, I have oily and acne prone skin which is exactly the skin type that Herbalism is geared towards. Now, I say "acne prone" but I should clarify that for the most part my skin is clear but every once in a while, my skin will act up and throw a a zit or two at me. And, when I'm using a cleanser that my skin isn't too fond of, it will break out twice as much.

Anyway, I was really excited to try this because I hadn't tried any face products from LUSH but all the body products I had tried I really loved. Plus, I still haven't been able to find a skin care routine that works well for me so I thought this might be it.

The first thing I noticed about this cleaner is the smell - it's putrid. I've read other reviews and others seem to be saying that it's a smell you get used to but I've been using this for a few weeks now and just thinking about cleaning my face with this stuff makes me feel very uncomfortable. It's hard to describe the smell but I get hints of old, mouldy, cheap play-doh and tired, haven't-showered-in-a-week feet. Also, the pure intensity of the smell offers hints of a vinegar-y scent.

The second thing I noticed is the texture - it's very different than any other cleanser I've tried. It's kind of like dried up play-doh in that it's piecey (although not quite chunky) but it's not hard feeling like dried up play-doh gets.

In regards to price, this cleanser costs $11.50 CND for 100g. Some would say that's a bit steep but once you have it, you realize just how little you need per use and it makes more sense. I still have probably 90% of mine left and I used it once a day for about a month.

Overall, although the smell made me a little sick, I vowed that if it worked for my skin, I would get past the smell.
But no, it really did nothing for my skin at all. In fact, it broke my skin out even more than usual. At first, I was hoping that my skin was just trying to get used to a new routine so I stuck with it but now that it's been almost a month, I can say with confidence that this is not the cleanser for me.

For me personally, I would give this product a 3 out of 10 however, I really hope others have more luck with this cleaner than I did.


Also, if anyone has any suggestions for any other facial cleansers, I would love to hear them!

 
© 2010 Copyright by Beauty Nail Art